Verify a Business License
Learn if an entity is properly licensed to conduct a particular business activity in the District.
In order to verify a BBL, you must provide such business information as name, address, tax number, activity and/or license number. With this information, a BBL can be verified online, via telephone, in-person and/or in-writing.
A BBL is verified to determine if a business is licensed and otherwise compliant with D.C. Code and Municipal Regulations to conduct a particular business activity in the District of Columbia.
In order to verify a BBL, the following information is required:
- Business Name;
- Tax Number (if available);
- Business Address;
- License Number; and/or
- Business Activity
In most cases, license verification is immediate. Certification Requests are fulfilled within 72 hours.
A BBL can be verified:
- Online via the Business License Verification system;
- By telephone at (202) 442 4311(Maximum of 3 requests per call);
- In Person, Business License Center, 1100 4th Street, SW, 2nd Floor, Washington, DC 20024; and
- In Writing via certification Request.