DC Business Tax Identification Number
A DC Business Tax Identification number, sometimes called an Social Security Number or Federal Employer Identification Number (SSN/FEIN), is an identification number used to identify an individual and/or a business entity for tax purposes.
Learn the requirements for obtaining an FEIN by visiting the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website or calling toll free 1-800-829-4933. For a SSN, you will need to complete Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card (PDF). You also must submit evidence of your identity, age, and U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status. For more information please see the Social Security web site.
A SSN/FEIN is required for all businesses/Individuals that meet the following criteria:
- Businesses with employees
- Businesses that withhold taxes
- Businesses that operate as Corporations or Partnerships
- Businesses that include the following (Trusts, Real Estate, Non-profits, Plan Administrators & Estates)
A SSN/FEIN is required before a BBL can be issued.
- If application is submitted online, you will receive your EIN immediately.
- If application is made by telephone (1-800-829-4933), you will receive your EIN immediately.
- If application is faxed, you will receive your EIN within one week.
- If application is mailed, you will receive your EIN in 4-5 weeks.
- If application for SSN is mailed or submitted in person, you will receive your card within 1 week.
You may apply for an FEIN:
You may apply for a SSN:
- Via Mail