Employer Identification Number (EIN)
An EIN, sometimes called an FEIN, is an identification number used to identify a business entity for tax purposes.
Learn the requirements for obtaining an EIN by visiting the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website or calling toll free 1-800-829-4933.
An EIN is required for all businesses that meet the following criteria:
- Businesses with employees
- Businesses that withhold taxes
- Businesses that operate as Corporations or Partnerships
- Businesses that include the following (Trusts, Real Estate, Non-profits, Plan Administrators & Estates)
An EIN is required before a BBL can be issued.
- If application is submitted online, you will receive your EIN immediately.
- If application is made by telephone (1-800-829-4933), you will receive your EIN immediately.
- If application is faxed, you will receive your EIN within one week.
- If application is mailed, you will receive your EIN in 4-5 weeks.
You may apply for an EIN: