Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Search for Answers
Start a Business
- How do I start a business in the District of Columbia?
- I am already registered to do business in the District . Why do I need a Basic Business License?
- I received a notice that my business is not in "good standing." What does that mean?
- My business was incorporated in another state and I do little business in the District. Why do I need to register with the Corporations Division?
- What does it mean to be in "good standing" with the Corporations Division?
Certificate of Occupancy
- How do I find a building's Certificate of Occupancy number?
- I rent a single family dwelling in the District; do I need a Certificate of Occupancy?
- If I work at home, do I need a Certificate of Occupancy?
- If my business is in an already established office building, do I still need to get a Certificate of Occupancy?
- My business is located outside of the District and the Basic Business License (BBL) Application asks for a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) number. What do I do?
- Do I need to re-submit the same forms and documents for my renewal as I did for my initial application?
- I have not received a renewal notice yet and my license has expired. What do I do?
- I received a notice to renew my Basic Business License. What do I need to do?
- I sent in my renewal application and payment, but it was returned with a Deficiency Notice. It says I didn't pay, but I have my cancelled check. Now what?
- My Basic Business License (BBL) will expire soon and I have not received a renewal notice. What should I do?
- Does a law firm require a Basic Business, Occupational or Professional license?
- Does the DCRA issue a license for security businesses, private investigators, detectives or armed guards?
- Does the DCRA license professionals?
- I already have a Basic Business License (BBL); why do I need another license from OPLA?
- I am a doctor (nurse, plumber, social worker, attorney or other professional). I hold a professional license. Am I required to obtain a Basic Business License?
- How do I apply for a Basic Business License?
- How often are Basic Business Licenses renewed?
- I already have a Certificate of Authority to operate a business in the District of Columbia; why do I need another license?
- I already have a Basic Business License; do I also need to apply for a General Business License?
- I am a sub-contractor and am only here for one contract; do I need to get a Basic Business License?
- After I access the CorpOnline website, the system is not responding . Why not?
- After I have paid for my filing utilizing CorpOnline, why does it appear under "Pending Services"? What is the next step?
- After submitting a service request on CorpOnline, what is the next step?
- Can an organization act as its own Registered Agent if it has an office address in the District of Columbia?
- How can I get a refund of fees paid for my corporate filing?